Abuse can come in many different forms in a relationship, and many times it manifests itself in the form of financial abuse. It’s not something that you might immediately realize is happening, but it can have a huge emotional impact on a person.
Today’s guest experienced it first-hand but is thriving now after overcoming that in her marriage. We’re happy to welcome Claudia Porter, CFP® with Financial Reserve in Portland, Oregon, onto the show to tell her story. If you are going through a divorce or have been through divorce, you know how difficult it can. Wait until you hear Claudia’s story about tenacity.
Trigger warning: This podcast does talk about an abusive relationship.
Here’s some of what you’ll learn on this episode:
· Her experience in an abusive relationship and specifically financial abuse. (3:56)
· The common pitfalls that women fall into with financial abuse. (7:03)
· How she came up with the money to retain an attorney when she didn’t have any money. (11:02)
· What steps you can take right after divorce to get back on your feet financially? (13:18)
· How can you best plan for litigation with an abusive ex from a financial perspective? (17:11)
If you or someone you know needs help, here are some great resources:
Innocent Spouse Relief Form: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/innocent-spouse-relief
National Foundation for Credit Counseling: https://www.nfcc.org/
Get in touch with Claudia: www.financialreserve.com